8 Facts About the Nine Patch Block•
Posted on August 17 2020
- The first known Nine Patch Quilts were made at the beginning of the nineteenth century (source).
- Quilting on these quilts was usually simple as they were made for everyday use (source).
- Many girls learned to sew making this quilt for is ease of piecing (source).
- The nine patch block was used for simplicity and manageable blocks. Typically, quilts were made by adding small pieces of fabric or strips to an ever-growing top. This became difficult to work with as the quilt top approached its full size. Thus, they started breaking them into manageable blocks, or the nine patch block (source).
- In the 1850's nine patch block quilts were considered a lower class pastime to keep youngsters entertained (source).
- Nine patch blocks were a frugal way to use up scraps and thus became popular among pioneer women (source).
- The nine patch block was a popular block and quilt pattern during the Civil War because of the need to thrift for fabric in the North. Quilters of this era could collect these tiny pieces from leftover materials or some cases old clothing (source).
- The Little House on the Prairie books mentions Laura making a nine patch quilt block as it was a simple design that could also be taught to children as soon as they could hold on a needle. Sometimes as early as 3 or 4 years old (source).
I hope you enjoyed this fun little history lesson! If you know something about the nine patch block that I didn't mention above, make sure to let us know in the comments!
How to Trim Flying ...
With my method of making flying geese, a small bit of trimming is required to make sure you have the correct size block for your pattern. This ca...Read More
How to Make Flying ...
Flying geese can be a bit tricky when it comes to making them with directional fabric. If you are not working with a pattern that you want them ...Read More
Golden Light Quilt ...
Golden Light gives you a chance to put together your contrasting fabrics and really let your favorites shine. The big blocks and detailed directio...Read More