While there are many tutorials out there about how to make flying geese, I have found that I like to make mine just a bit bigger so that I have space to trim them up with my bloc loc ruler and make sure everything lines up correctly in my patterns.
Things to Know About Flying Geese:
- The 4 small squares become the the smaller triangles.
- The large square becomes the large triangle in the middle.
- This method is best used on non directional fabrics.
- Flying geese are twice as wide as they are tall.
- Finished size is the size the flying geese will be once sewn into project.
Don’t see the size flying geese you are wanting to make? No problem! Follow these steps to make your own:
- Add 1″ to the height of your finished size (after being sewn) you need for your flying geese. This will be the size of your four small squares.
- Add 1 1/2″ to the width of your finished size (after being sewn) you need for your flying geese. This will be the size of your one large square.
Calculating a flying geese that is 1″ x 2″ finished.
1″ + 1″ = 2″
2″ + 1 1/2″ = 3 1/2″
Trim unit to 1 1/2″ x 2 1/2″ to allow space for 1/4″ seam allowances.
Step by Step Tutorial
Step 1: Cut squares for desired finished size.
Step 2: Using your water-soluble pen, draw a diagonal line on the back of all 4 small squares. Place to squares right sides together with large square. Pin and sew a 1/4″ line on each side of the line you’ve drawn.
Step 3: Cut along drawn line. Press seam towards smaller triangles.
Step 4: Place last two small squares right sides together in corner of large square of each unit. Pin and sew a 1/4″ line on each side of the line you’ve drawn.
Step 5: Cut along drawn line. Press seam towards smaller triangle.
Step 6: Trim to size. Trimming is necessary when making flying geese this way because they are just a bit bigger to allow for accuracy. I LOVE using my bloc loc ruler for this step.
And you are left with four accurate flying geese for your project!
Trying out this tutorial? Share on Instagram and tag me (@thehomebodycompany) so I can see!
I may receive commissions for purchases made through links in this post. It does not change the cost of the item for customers.